Monday, October 29, 2012

A Windy, Rainy, Stormy Day of Forts, Cards, and Flashlights

Today, as I sit on my couch safe and sound since work is closed due to the impending weather from Hurricane Sandy, I was thinking back to my younger days.  Growing up in Central New York, we had our fair share of big storms in the winters in the manner of blizzards or ice storms.  In summers, hot days that were cooled off by cold fronts lead to storms with huge thunder claps and giant bolts of jagged lightening.


via here

I've always loved storms - I love gathering flashlights and candles to light the way when the power goes out.  I grab all the pillows and blankets around to make a cozy fort to camp out in.  I find all the playing cards around so games of crazy eights and rummy will make the time fly by.


via here

So, today, while I get my flashlights, blankets, and playing cards ready, I will keep in mind that we are lucky to probably just get some big wind gusts and heavy rain.  I know that others will not be as fortunate today as this storm passes through.  Hopefully you will be one of the those who get to just wait out the weather.  If so, what are your favorite stormy day traditions?

Until next time, travel on...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment