Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Fall Favorite - Apple Picking

Recently, Mr. C and I spent a Saturday afternoon up in New Hampshire and it was a perfect day for apple picking.  We chose to go to Brookdale Farms, which is actually a spot we have gone apple picking at every year since we were in college together. 


Even though we don't necessarily need apples at home, it is a fun tradition to keep up together.  I love driving down the dusty and bumpy road to the orchard.  My favorite part is coming around the final bend in the road and seeing a sharp, pointed steeple from a local church piercing the blue sky filled with puffy clouds.


Every year, I have to hunt down Empire apples.  I love how crunchy and tart they are - most people rely on apples like these for baking, but they are some of my favorite to eat (and I always try at least one while out picking, but who doesn't?).

Does anyone else ever feel bad for all of the forgotten apples that are spread around the ground beneath the trees?  I know, I know...apples don't have feelings...but still?!


We picked such a nice day to go, I didn't even need warm boots or a jacket!  Fall is my favorite season for sure, but there is no need to rush the cold weather, now is there?  I broke out the flip flops and made my way through the stringy hay in the orchard.


It was a succesful trip of picking a few good apples, sampling one here or there, and of course, grabbing a pumpkin to bring home to adorn our front porch.



Until next time, travel on...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment