Thursday, August 2, 2012

She Dreams On...

In life, it seems that just about everyone creates their own bucket list.  Some go with a formal written list in a notebook, some discover possible options through The 101 Things in 1001 Days website, while others just catalog their ideas in the privacy of their own minds.  

In 2010, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was reminded how many amazing things there are to do and the number of incredible places to see in life, but how little time we have to fit it all in!  I felt compelled to make a list of my own.  Some view these bucket lists of things to do before we die as depressing, but at the time, creating a list of future adventures and hopeful accomplishments was my motivation to keep up the fight and to stay positive that better days would be ahead. 

So, what was on this list?  For me, it was certainly going to include something about travel, something about family, and hey, you can't use money when you're dead, so something about shopping!  First up, make ourselves a "real" family by adopting a dog into our lives.  One year later, my life was in a dramatically different place, I was feeling healthy, Mr. C and I were engaged, and we felt ready to take on the challenge of a puppy.  Just like that, we adopted Murphy, a rescue from Puerto Rico.  We welcomed this little 13 pound creature into our home (and faster than I could have ever expected - into our hearts).  People ask if we feel burdened by having to take care of a dog, but my answer is always absolutely not.  All of the puppy kisses, tail wags, and snuggle time outweighs the early-morning snowy walks, grooming, and yes even the poop-scoopin! There is nothing like looking into the eyes of a dog and having him peer right back at you - it is as if I can feel his understanding that we saved him from a shelter and his appreciation for giving him a second shot at life in a forever home.

My next item on my list was a trip to Paris.  I'm still not sure why this location stood out to me as the next (and hopefully not last) place I wanted to visit as I have already been lucky to travel to Paris twice before and I speak Spanish, not French.  Anyway, it felt right, so it was added.  The reality of life set back in and I decided to put off this trip for awhile since I had already taken off a lot of time from work for doctor appointments and surgery recovery.  Lately, I've been thinking of pulling this trip back towards the top of the list again.  It was something that I wanted to make happen and it was something motivated me to push through the exhausting days of chemo, the pain of surgery, and the unknown of radiation.

The one thing that I haven't followed through on must have been thought of at the height of taking my pain meds.  Even though I have a perfectly nice car that I love, I decided that I wanted a Lincoln MKZ.  I'm not quite sure where the money was going to come from for this little wish list item and I still to this day haven't even sat in, let alone driven, one of these cars!  I have decided that I'm going to keep it on the list because even though I know I'm not going to buy this for myself, it is still a fun thing to picture cruising around in.  Even if just thinking about the possibility of splurge on such a crazy purchase brings me a little smile, it can't be all bad.

via here


Of course, there have been many other special family moments, travel adventures, and (more reasonable) purchases since my diagnosis, but these three stick out of the ones that I kept at the top of my mind to cheer myself on during what was a tough time.

So, tell me, what is on your list?

Until next time, travel on!
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment