Friday, August 10, 2012

Keep Calm and Wish on a Star

This weekend, Mr. C and I will be joining about 15 other friends from our Alma mater for a summer reunion.  We will all be traveling up to Dover-Foxcroft, Maine for a weekend of pontoon-boat cruising, sun soaking (if the weather holds out), lobster eating, and of course enjoying the company of some of our closest friends (no matter what the weather does).

via here

One thing that I am especially excited about is the fact that the Perseid Meteor showers are scheduled to be at their best on the night of August 12th.  Normally, we are too close to bright city lights to really experience how spectacular shooting stars are in the night sky, but our home for the weekend should make for a great viewing spot!

I've always been one to make wishes - when I blow out birthday candles, when I brush a lost eyelash away, when I find a lucky penny, when I see double times on a clock (11:11, 4:44), and of course, when I see falling stars.  So, this past week, I have spent sometime thinking about what I will wish for if I am lucky enough to see some of these falling stars up in Maine.

i-c470614b88e140d0562d54e05c087856-leonid-meteor-thumb-500x387-49397.jpg
via here

Now, I know most people say "you can't share your wish with others or else it won't come true!" but I think that was just made up by people who were too nervous to share their dreams for fear of being told they were thinking too big or too far out of the box.  Personally, I think I agree more with the mindset that if we don't wish, dream, or think about what we want in life - how can we achieve our dreams or get anything to change?  Anyway, here is what passed through my mind as I prepared for hundreds of free wishes to fall from the sky tomorrow night.

I wish for....

....less worrying.  I luckily don't many concerns of much consequence in my life, but I do want to be able to let go of things that I can't control.  I love the quote, "Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness."  It is tough for me, but I'm working on just relaxing and enjoying the moment rather than dwelling on the "what ifs."
....the ability to remember as many little details from our wedding day as possible.  All of my planning paid off and I was able to just enjoy the day and take in all of the joy and love that surrounded myself and Mr. C back in June.  I hope that our stories, pictures and video will help keep the memories of family, friends, and fun in my mind forever.

....good decision making.  When the day comes for me to reflect back on my life, I want to be proud with how I moved through my years.  This doesn't mean that I want every moment to be perfect (oh, how I dislike that word), but it means that I want to know that I stood up for what I believed in, treated others with care and respect, especially when it was hard to, and that I took the time to slow down and enjoy the little moments in life that are often some of the most special times.

....more dessert.  I didn't say all of these were going to be "deep" or thoughtful, now did I?  Who doesn't want another Hershey bar here or there?  Bring it on!

The next time you see a four-leaf clover, a dandelion that has turned to white puff, or the number seven, remember to take a few seconds and make a wish.  You never know what you can accomplish if you don't dream first!

via here
Until next time, travel on...
Maggie

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous - I adore Maine, and miss it since my husband and I haven't managed to get up there in the past couple of years for vacation. We usually go WAY up though, to Cobscook Bay in Downeast Maine. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...that is quite the ride for you! It looks like you do such a good job at taking adventures. I like that having your camera gives you a reason to get out and explore places, even if it isn't something you would normally be interested in seeing. You never know where a great photo op could be!

      Delete