Saturday, January 19, 2013

Resolving to Keep Calm and...

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about resolutions for 2013.  How can I be better, healthier, smarter, kinder, happier?  On January 1st, promising to improve something about myself for the entire year sounds so refreshing, yet it also seems like a simple way to set myself up for disappointment.  What if I find my goal to be a lot harder than expected, what if I hit road blocks along the way, or what if I just throw in the towel all together?


via here

This year, I have decided to make 12 mini-resolutions - one smaller goal that I can work towards each month.  This way, I can have little successes every 30 days or if need be, 12 chances to be better at staying on track with future months' goals. 

For January, I have decided that I need to use my iPhone less while I'm driving.  I call friends and family on my ride home from work, I use my phone as my GPS when I travel, and I admit, that if I get stuck in traffic or if I sit at a really long red light, I don't hesitate to check my emails or quickly scroll through facebook.  Problem is, I don't always put it right back down once traffic lets up or the light turns green.  So far, the hardest part of correcting this behavior is even being concious that I'm doing it.  I often don't really notice that I have grabbed my phone as it has gotten so instinctual to have my fingers flipping from app to app.


via here 


Seeing a status update of what someone had for breakfast or deleting another junk email is not nearly as important as keeping myself and all the other drivers around me safe on the road.  So, here I am before you all here in the bloggy world, promising to be a less distracted driver.  Next month, I'll let you now how this works out as well as what is on the list for my February resolution.

Until next time, travel on...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment